The Incorporation administers The Assay Office - Scotland , based at Goldsmiths Hall in Broughton Street, Edinburgh. Goldsmiths Hall was a former church, built in 1816, which was fully refurbished and opened as the Assay Office in 1999 by HRH The Princess Royal.

Over the last decade the fortunes of the Incorporation have revived beyond all expectation and to mark the turn of the century and a new Scottish Parliament, fifteen of Scotland's finest designer/silversmiths were commissioned to create The Millennium Collection for Bute House.

This has been described as the "most exciting Collection of contemporary silver made in Scotland" and is on permanent loan to the State. It is used by The First Minister and The Scottish Executive when entertaining visiting Heads of State and VIPs from around the world.

The Incorporation has supported the art and craft of silversmithing through charitable donations which include providing additional funds for Scottish Art Colleges to buy precious metals for students. Other activities have included exhibition sponsorship and contributing to the purchase of important historical pieces of jewellery and silver by public collections.

In the year 2000 The Incorporation founded a charity called The Scottish Goldsmiths Trust which is now the owner of The Millennium Collection for Bute House. All charitable activities are carried out by The Scottish Goldsmiths Trust on behalf of the Incorporation.